IPL: Therapy for the Skin
Intense pulsed light therapy (IPL) is based on emitting high-intensity pulses of filtered light to penetrate the skin and rid various conditions with minimal discomfort and no downtime. Using light filters, the energy of the intense pulsed light (IPL) can be focused on specific targets. Although the IPL is not really a laser, it is a powerful tool. It erases mild sun damage, freckles, and light brown spots on the face, neck, and chest. In fact, many patients report the added bonus of a reduction in pore size, smoother skin, and fewer wrinkles. The experts at MetroDerm, P.C. can treat your unwanted skin discolorations, minimize the appearance of rosacea and blood vessels under the skin, and control acne using IPL.
- Acne: Safe and effective treatment of acne with little to no patient discomfort for patients of all ages. IPL treatments can rapidly dry up acne by killing the bacteria deep in the skin and treating the inflammation. It has the added benefit of reducing redness and unwanted pigmentation around active acne as well as acne scars.
- Skin Texture: For patients looking to improve the overall texture and appearance of their skin, IPL has exceptional results for photorejuvenation. Benefits include reduced pore size, reduced wrinkle size, improvement of sun damage and an evener skin tone. Best of all, there’s minimal discomfort and virtually no downtime.
- Skin Tightening: Treatment of skin laxity by stimulating collagenesis and tissue shrinkage with heat radiation.
- Vascular Lesions: Treatment of broken capillaries, spider veins, rosacea and other superficial vascular lesions.
- Hair Removal: Fast and effective treatment for removal of unwanted hair anywhere on the body with little patient discomfort. Only hairs in the active growth phase will be killed by the IPL treatment. Thus, multiple sessions are needed to treat hairs in different growth cycles.
About the Procedure
Prior to the procedure, lidocaine, a numbing agent, is applied to the area being treated. Once the skin is numb, a cold gel is applied and the handpiece gently touches the skin as the pulse of light is applied. You may feel a slight warmth or a mild stinging like the snapping of a rubber band, or nothing at all, depending on the intensity of the treatment given. Afterwards, the gel is removed and you can immediately reapply cosmetics and resume normal activities.
IPL can be used to treat any area of the body. The most common areas for treatment are the face, neck, chest, and hands. Depending on the severity of the condition, a series of three to six treatments may be recommended. By dividing the full program into several treatments, IPL can provide gradual improvement with very low risk, no downtime, and immediate resumption of normal activities.
There is a visible difference after only one treatment; however, a series of IPLs has a dramatic effect on the condition, color, and tone of the skin. After several IPL treatments, imperfections diminish, and the skin is rejuvenated. The IPL can be used for patients with rosacea, a common skin condition, and it is particularly effective on the hands to wipe away the signs of aging. IPL is the premier treatment for skin redness which can be performed monthly.
Call The Center for Plastic Surgery at MetroDerm P.C. in Atlanta, GA, if you are interested in IPL treatments for rosacea or other skin conditions. MetroDerm, P.C. has offices serving Snellville, Duluth, Decatur, Dunwoody, Milton, Alpharetta, Roswell, Hiram, and Acworth.