The Restylane family of fillers are FDA-approved breakthrough treatments that use a natural, non-animal-based dermal filler just like what your own body produces. Hyaluronic acid, our body’s own natural substance, exists in the dermis, or middle layer, of our skin. Its purpose is to provide fullness and volume to the skin. Restylane is completely biocompatible with and identical to our body’s own substance and is readily accepted without reactions.
- Restores fullness to the skin.
- Minimizes moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds such as nasolabial folds around the mouth.
- Fills fine lines, plump lips, and fill dark circles under the eyes.
- Fills superficial lines.
- Lasts about six months
- Does not require any skin testing, unlike collagen-based products.
The Members of the Family
- Restylane-L: This is a general dermal filler product that can be used just about anywhere on the face. However, other formulations may be more suitable, depending on which part of the face needs to be filled in. Restylane-L is a formulation that includes lidocaine, which is a topical numbing agent that is certain to make the experience much more comfortable for patients who are sensitive to pain or injections. The most common injection sites for Restylane-L are nasolabial folds, cheeks, tear troughs and lips.
- Restylane Lyft: This is a longer-lasting formulation compared to the oft-cited 12 months that regular Restylane lasts. It is used primarily in situations where the recipient would like to add more volume to their cheeks or sometimes the dorsal portion of their hands. While many people associate cheek fillers with work done towards the upper half of the face by the cheekbones, products like Restylane Lyft can be used to fill in any part of the cheek. Many people have begun to take advantage of subtle filler work to plump up their cheek area despite showing minimal signs of aging. Available with and without lidocaine.
- Restylane Silk: As we age, the lips tend to shrink in size and vertical lines begin to appear around the lips. Lip lines have always been a difficult challenge. Fillers, in general, have always been designed to fill wrinkles and folds and restore volume. Vertical lip lines have defied the use of traditional filler, often showing as ridges instead of a smoother surface.
- Restylane Refyne: Softens laugh lines (nasolabial folds and marionette lines) and helps restore a more natural look to your face while maintaining your facial expressions.
- Restylane Defyne: Helps smooth deep laugh lines (nasolabial folds and marionette lines) using innovative cross-linking technology.
How Restylane Works
During the procedure, Restylane is injected into the mid-deep dermis in tiny amounts using an ultra-fine needle. The treatment area may be massaged to optimize contouring of the gel. As the gel integrates into dermal tissue it attracts and binds to water molecules. This binding process then creates volume and fullness to smooth out wrinkles.
The average treatment will last for six months – twice as long as collagen. Touch-up treatments are usually done twice a year. Treatments require little to no downtime. Most patients return to their daily activities immediately following the procedure.
Bruising at the injection sites can be covered with mineral makeup. Some redness and swelling may appear but should be gone within a week. During this time, sunbathing and exposure to cold should be avoided, as these conditions put extra stress on the recovering skin. Patients who are using substances that can prolong bleeding, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, as with any injection, may experience increased bruising or bleeding at injection site.
Each patient is unique; therefore, results of treatment may vary.