When a tuneup is needed
Over time, you may realize that the results of your earlier breast implant surgery isn’t meeting your current perception of beauty and balance. If you have unfulfilled hopes and expectations related to your prior surgery, then a breast revision might be right for you.
Breast Revision Candidates
You may be a good candidate for breast revision surgery if you have one or more of the following concerns:
- Old implants that are now deflated
- Scarring from a previous breast surgery
- Extensive asymmetry from previous surgery
- Capsular contracture or hardened scar tissue
- Breast size or shape is out of balance with your body
- Breasts are too wide, low, close high or asymmetric
- You no longer need or want an implant
About the Procedure
The procedure for breast implant removal or replacement generally lasts no more than 30 minutes. If the patient is undergoing a removal without replacement implant the same incision used for the original breast augmentation will likely be used. If the implant is filled with a saline solution it may be deflated prior to removal. The saline solution will be naturally absorbed by the body and is not dangerous. Breast revision surgery to correct a capsular contracture consists of removing the scar tissue that has formed in the implant pocket as well as the implant. If another implant will be inserted during the breast revision surgery, the procedure will include the use of acellular dermal matrices or ADMs which are highly successful in helping the body accept the implants and keep them in place.
Breast Revision Benefits
Breast revision surgery can achieve the following:
- Soften breasts hardened by scar tissue
- Old or deflated implants can be replaced with new, soft natural ones
- Reduce visibility of old implants
- A reduction in the ability to feel the implants through the skin
- A natural look and balance and a softer feel
- Provide the size, shape, and symmetry you want today
Aftercare & Recovery
The recovery period is generally seven to ten days. Once the bruising and tenderness are gone the patient can return to normal activities. Most patients can drive a car and return to work or social activities after a week. Strenuous exercise can cause uncomfortable swelling in the area so it should be avoided for four to six weeks. Following surgery, it is important to sleep with your head and back elevated to reduce swelling in the area. You may take off the dressing and shower two days after the surgery. Revision surgery is usually more uncomfortable than primary breast augmentation, especially if the breast capsule is removed or the muscle is manipulated.
Each patient is unique; therefore, results of treatment may vary.
Request your consultation with one of our Plastic Surgeons in Sandy Springs or Hiram to learn more.